All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe dean of business historians continues his masterful chronicle of the transforming revolutions of the twentieth century begun in Inventing the Electronic Century. Alfred Chandler argues that only with consistent attention to research and development and an emphasis on long-term corporate strategies could firms remain successful over time. He details these processes for nearly every major chemical and pharmaceutical firm, demonstrating why some companies forged ahead while others failed. By the end of World War II, the chemical and pharmaceutical industries were transformed by the commercializing of new learning, the petrochemical and the antibiotic revolutions. But by the 1970s, chemical science was longer providing the new learning necessary to commercialize more products, although new directions flourished in the pharmaceutical industries. In the 1980s, major drug companies, including Eli Lilly, Merck, and Schering Plough, commercialized the first biotechlogy products, and as the twenty-first century began, the infrastructure of this biotechlogy revolution was comparable to that of the second industrial revolution just before World War I and the information revolution of the 1960s. Shaping the Industrial Century is a major contribution to our understanding of the most dynamic industries of the modern era.
- Author BiographyAlfred D. Chandler, Jr., is Isidor Strauss Professor of Business History, Emeritus, at Harvard Business School and the author of Scale and Scope: The Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism and The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business
- Author(s)Alfred Dupont Chandler
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2005
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleHarvard Studies in Business History
- Series Part/Volume Number46
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note7tabs.2ch.
- Weight678 g
- Width167 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.