All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMainstream Mexican views of indigeus women centre on them as problematic mothers, and development programmes have included the goal of helping these women become good mothers. Ecomic incentives and conditional cash transfers are the vehicles for achieving this goal. With ethgraphic immediacy, Shaping the Motherhood of Indigeus Mexico examines the dynamics among the various players - indigeus mothers, clinicians, and representatives of development programmes. The women's voices lead the reader to understand the structures of dependency that paradoxically bind indigeus women within a programme that calls for their empowerment. The cash transfer programme is Oportunidades, which enrolls more than a fifth of Mexico's population. It expects mothers to become involved in their children's lives at three des - health, nutrition, and education. If women do t comply with the standards of modern motherhood, they are dropped from the programme and lose the bi-monthly cash payments. Smith-Oka explores the everyday implementation of the program and its unintended consequences. The mothers are often berated by clinicians for having too many children (Smith-Oka provides background on the history of eugenics and population control in Mexico) and for other examples of their backward ways. An entire chapter focuses on the humor indigeus women use to cope with disrespectful comments. Ironically, this form of resistance allows the women to accept the situation that controls their behaviour.
- Author(s)Vania Smith-Oka
- PublisherVanderbilt University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationTennessee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanderbilt University Press
- Content Note10 illustrations
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.