Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $48.06Trending at AU $49.69
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
About this product
- DescriptionMajor-General Farhan Al-Balawi is a loyal soldier in the Saudi Arabian army who dotes on his beloved daughter, Maryam, his pride in her learning and independent spirit sharpened by the death of his elder son and his estrangement from the younger who has opted to pursue a hedonistic western lifestyle in the USA. Despite the love she shares with her family, her respect for her father, the pride she takes in her Arabian heritage and her loyalty to Islam, Maryam yearns for travel and the opportunity to continue her education in a European university. But then Farhan anunces that Maryam is to marry - the fulfilment of a solemn promise made before Maryam was born and to a man who once saved Farhan's life - that Farhan's daughter would one day marry his old army comrade's son. Maryam endeavours to stifle her bitter disappointment, and to hour her father's wishes she complies with the betrothal. Then she meets Joe, an American dentist- and a Jew. As Joe and Maryam pursue an increasingly intimate clandestine relationship they dare to dream of freedom and of a life together. But Joe is gradually drawing the attention of the Muttawa, the feared religious police, and when Maryam realises that she is pregnant it is then that her trials really begin.
- Author BiographyRaj Kumar is an artist and designer. He and his wife now live in the southern hemisphere after they met whilst living and working in Saudi Arabia.
- Author(s)Kumar Raj
- PublisherMyrmidon Books Ltd
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNewcastle
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMyrmidon Books Ltd
- Weight358 g
- Width132 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine29 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.