All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores how 15 immigrants from German-speaking Switzerland in Australia make sense of their migratory experience, of building a new life in a different language. It does so by examining their written and oral life stories. The analysis takes two complementary perspectives: Firstly, the construction of language identities is studied through the language practices and attitudes discussed and displayed by the participants. Secondly, the ways in which they create coherence in their life stories focuses on autobiographical identities where language is a medium of sense-making across their life course. The combined perspectives highlight the diversity among the participants and the complexities of language and identity construction in the context of migration.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Doris Schupbach is a research fellow at the Research Unit for Multilingualism and Cross-Cultural Communication of the University of Melbourne and a lecturer in the German program at Monash University (Australia). Originally from Switzerland, she moved to Australia in 1998 where she completed an M.A. and a Ph.D. Her main research interests are in sociolinguistics and language contact, including societal and individual plurilingualism and language and identity in an immigrant context.
- Author(s)Doris Schuepbach
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- Series TitleVariolingua. Nonstandard - Standard - Substandard
- Series Part/Volume Number33
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note81, 36 fig., 45 tables
- Weight460 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.