Shattered Consensus: The Rise and Decline of America's Post-War Political Order by James Piereson (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.55Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe United States has been shaped by three sweeping political revolutions: Jefferson's revolution of 1800, the Civil War, and the New Deal. Each of these upheavals concluded with lasting institutional and cultural adjustments that set the stage for a new phase of political and ecomic development. Are we on the verge of ather upheaval, a fourth revolution that will reshape U.S. politics for decades to come? There are signs to suggest that we are. James Piereson describes the inevitable political turmoil that will overtake the United States in the next decade as a consequence of ecomic stagnation, the unsustainable growth of government, and the exhaustion of postwar arrangements that formerly underpinned American prosperity and power. The challenges of public debt, the retirement of the baby boom generation, and slow ecomic growth have reached a point where they require profound changes in the role of government in American life. At the same time, the widening gulf between the two political parties and the entrenched power of interest groups will make it difficult to negotiate the changes needed to renew the system. Shattered Consensus places this impending upheaval in historical context, reminding readers that Americans have faced and overcome similar trials in the past, in relatively brief but intense periods of political conflict. While others claim that the United States is in decline, Piereson argues that Americans will rise to the challenge of forming a new governing coalition that can guide the nation on a path of dynamism and prosperity.
- Author BiographyJames Piereson is president of the William E. Simon Foundation and a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, where he directs the Center for the American University. He has served as executive director and trustee of the John M. Olin Foundation, and has taught political science at several prominent universities. He is a frequent contributor to various journals and newspapers, including The New Criterion, Commentary, and The Weekly Standard. He is the author of Camelot and the Cultural Revolution: How the Assassination of John F. Kennedy Shattered American Liberalism. Mr. Piereson lives in New York City.
- Author(s)James Piereson
- PublisherEncounter Books,USA
- Date of Publication08/08/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEncounter Books,USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight757 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.