CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $35.03
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.31
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.40
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $45.22
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $38.19
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $13.38
About this product
- DescriptionIrene Spencer did as she felt God commanded in marrying her brother-in-law Verlan LeBaron, becoming his second wife. When the government raided the fundamentalist, polygamous Mormon village of Short Creek, Arizona, Irene and her family fled to Verlan's brothers' Mexican ranch. They lived in squalor and desolate conditions in the Mexican desert with Verlan's six brothers, one sister, and numerous wives and children. Listeners will be appalled and astonished but, most amazingly, greatly inspired. Irene's dramatic story reveals how far religion can be stretched and abused and how one woman and her children found their way out, into truth and redemption.
- Author BiographyIrene Spencer came from four generations of polygamy. As the second of ten wives, she was the mother of fourteen of her husband's fifty-eight children. Irene lives in Anchorage Alaska, with her faithful husband of nineteen years, Hector J. Spencer, who never leaves her side. At eighty-four years of age, Hector travels with Irene, proudly basking in her recent, new-found success. They currently reside in Woodbridge, California with Irene's oldest daughter, where Irene continues to write and work on various projects.When she's not writing or speaking, Irene is on the road, traveling the globe from Alaska to Mexico, Idaho, California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Louisiana to visit her family. Irene is also a world traveler, having traveled through twenty-five of the fifty U.S. states and to twenty-three foreign countries. She speaks both Spanish and English fluently.Although she had only a ninth-grade education, Irene earned her GED and took a creative writing class at University of Las Vegas. In fulfilling her passion and calling as an inspirational speaker, Irene shocks, amazes and motivates her audience. Irene interweaves humor throughout her testimony of her former, unconventional lifestyle. Irene serves as a keynote speaker for rescue missions, church congregations, women's centers, and other groups and events throughout the country as invited. Despite the demands on her time to fulfill her speaking engagements, Irene finds time to continue her writing and spend time with her family. She plans to author additional books. Laural Merlington has recorded well over one hundred audiobooks, including works by Margaret Atwood and Alice Hoffman, and is the recipient of several AudioFile Earphones Awards. An Audie Award nominee, she has also directed over one hundred audiobooks. She has performed and directed for thirty years in theaters throughout the country. In addition to her extensive theater and voice-over work, Laural teaches college in her home state of Michigan.
- Author(s)Irene Spencer
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication03/12/2007
- SubjectAutobiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date04/02/2017
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Laural Merlington
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time840
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.