All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA temporary move to Toronto in the winter of 2000, a twisted ankle, an empty house all inspired Mour as she read Alberto Caeiro and Fernando Pessoa's classic long poem O Guardador de Rebanhos. For fun, she started to translate, altering tones and vocabularies. From the Portuguese countryside and roaming sheep of 1914, a 21st century Toronto emerged, its neighborhoods still echoing the 1950s, their dips and hollows, hordes of wild cats, paved creeks. Her poem became a translation, the jubilant and irrepressible vigil of a fervent person. Suddenly, says Mour impishly, I had found my master. Caeiro's sheep were his thoughts and his thoughts, he claimed, were all sensations. Mour's sheep are stray cats and from her place in Caeiro's poetry, she creates a woman alive in an urban world where the rural has t vanished, where the archaic suffuses us even when we do t beckon it, and yet the present tense floods us fully. In this ecstatic long poem of hope and creeks and cats and rain, Sheep's Vigil by a Fervent Person catches Goverr General's Award-winner Erin Mour at her most playful and ingenuous and wearing her Galician name.
- PrizesShortlisted for Griffin Poetry Prize - Canadian 2002.
- Author(s)Erin Moure
- PublisherHouse of Anansi Press Ltd ,Canada
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationConcord
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHouse of Anansi Press Ltd ,Canada
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width139 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.