All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSherlock Holmes - perhaps the most famous detective of all time - had an intimate kwledge and the topography of London. His partner, Dr Watson, also had a sixth sense about the people and the places they lived in. In this entertaining and informative book, David Sinclair recreates the London Holmes and Watson knew, and relates it to modern London. The author follows the routes that Holmes took on the trail of criminals - whether to Brixton and Kennington on the trail of the murdered Ech J. Drebber, or to Bloomsbury and Covent Garden in search of the man who stole the blue carbuncle - creating an entertaining detective story in itself as he relates places in the stories to places that exist w. Sifting through mystery and disguise, the author tracks down the real Langham Hotel and speculates on the location of the Diogenes Club and Saxe-Coburg Square. The book identifies the scenes of crimes, the homes of villains and victims, as well as the restaurants, theaters and concert halls where Holmes and London relaxed off-duty. It also recreates the unique atmosphere of a London sometimes darkened by smog and where travel was by hansom cab and brougham.
- Author BiographyDavid Sinclair is the author of ten previous books, including the best-selling The Pound: A Biography and The Land That Never Was, the story of one of the greatest frauds in history. Born in Northumberland, he was trained as a journalist and went on to enjoy a thirty-year career as a senior editorial executive with several national newspapers. Now a freelance writer, he lives in Kent. His interest in Sherlock Holmes, which goes back to his youth, prompted him to research and write a short biography of the great detective which was published in The Times.
- Author(s)David Sinclair
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2009
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Content Note40 colour illustrations
- Weight726 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $15.00New
- AU $12.56New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $44.70
- AU $40.57Trending at AU $41.69
- AU $21.27Trending at AU $25.43
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $39.00
- AU $53.95Trending at AU $68.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.52
- AU $55.24Trending at AU $57.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.