All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1919 a middle-aged Chicago advertising writer from Ohio, a failure as a businessman, husband, and father, published a small yellow book of short stories intended to reform American literature. Against all expectations, Winesburg, Ohio: A Group of Tales of Ohio Small Town Life achieved what its author intended: after 1919 and after Winesburg, Ohio, American literature would be written and read freshly and differently. Winesburg, Ohio has never been out of print, but never has Anderson's book been published in the form and with the editorial care that the work has needed and deserved. The present text, authorized by the Sherwood Anderson Literary Estate Trust, is an expert text. The editor has relied on years of experience in editing Sherwood Anderson and has consulted all Anderson manuscripts, typescripts, letters, and diaries and all editions of the book to present the masterpiece in its intended state. New to this expert edition of Winesburg, Ohio are historical and cultural antations, documentation of changes in the various editions, identification of the Ohio originals for Anderson's characters, and maps bearing the streets and buildings of the real town of Clyde, Ohio, which is the basis of Anderson's fictional account. Included as well are unique photographs of Anderson and Clyde, Ohio, illustrations that deepen kwledge and feeling for the author's actual hometown and time, revealing Winesburg, Ohio to be an intensely local narrative-very much an Ohio book-and yet a book that has found and held worldwide attention.
- Author BiographyRay Lewis White is Distinguished Professor of English at Illinois State University. In addition to several books about Sherwood Anderson, Professor White has published extensively on the American short story and on an array of modern and contemporary writers.
- Author(s)Sherwood Anderson
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/1997
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content NotePhotos, maps
- Weight862 g
- Width254 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine661 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.