CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
About this product
- DescriptionShibori is one of the world's richest textile traditions in the world. Commonly associated with Japan, it is also used in Africa, India and South America. Shibori is the Japanese term (from the word 'to squeeze or wring'), for the dye-resist technique of binding, clamping or gathering the cloth so that the dye cant reach certain parts. This results in that most powerful of combinations - a carefully structured design with the organic freedom of the unpredictable. In recent years a resurgence of the art has brought out its full potential and author Janice Gunner's book is aimed at quilters, embroiderers and textile artists who t only want to master the techniques of shibori but also find ways of using the fabric once created for a range of textile techniques including quilting and embroidery. The book briefly covers the historical and cultural background before explaining clearly, with step-by-step instructions, how to make a wide range of stunning fabric. It covers: tied resist, stitched resist, wrapped resist, clamp resist, folded and pleated resist, heat set techniques, discharge dyeing techniques, immersion and other dyeing techniques. Illustrated throughout with new and old shibori examples, and many finished quilted and embroidered pieces that have incorporated shibori techniques, to show the full potential of the art.
- Author BiographyJanice Gunner is a leading textile artist - particularly known for her quilting and her shibori - in both the UK and the US. She won the Jewel Pearce Patterson Scholarship for International Quilt Teachers and attended Quilt Market & Festival in Houston, Texas in 1999 and 2000. She is the Vice President of the The Quilters Guild of the British Isles and part of the Contemporary Quilt group of the QGBI. She has been teaching patchwork and quilting and shibori for 30 years.
- Author(s)Janice Gunner
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication28/09/2006
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBatsford Ltd
- Content Note115 illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width225 mm
- Height283 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.