All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $14.10Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe rules are simple eugh. Here's the deal: Whoever keeps his hands longest on one of the dealer's brand new pickup trucks owns it and gets to drive it away. An actual contest hosted by an auto dealership in Texas is the prompt for this fictional exploration, which seeks to probe the depths and shallows of the American soul. To the players vying for this shiny new prize, competition revs up as the hours wear on, positions harden, sightlines narrow, and sleep-deprivation intensifies. At the center is the reporter Trew Reade, struggling to make sense of the event and his own role in it. Early on, he muses that surface and substance were rarelythe same; transparency could be the most cunning of masks. So, too, is the author's transparent prose. Reviewers have sometimes found kinship in Mojtabai's vision with that of Marilynne Robinson and Flannery O'Conr, but the characterization from Books & Culture- t like anyone else -is perhaps best, invitingreaders to discover this provocative writer for themselves.
- Author BiographyA. G. Mojtabai has taught at Harvard, New York University, and the University of Tulsa. She is the author of ten previous books, which have been translated into several languages.
- Author(s)A. G. Mojtabai
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleTriquarterly Books
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight204 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.