All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the interaction between shipping and the natural environment and how shipping can strive to become more sustainable. Readers are guided in marine environmental awareness, environmental regulations and abatement techlogies to assist in decisions on strategy, policy and investments. You will get familiar with possible paths to improve environmental performance and, in the long term, to a sustainable shipping sector, based on an understanding of the sources and mechanisms of common impacts. You will also gain kwledge on emissions and discharges from ships, prevention measures, environmental regulations, and methods and tools for environmental assessment. In addition, the book includes a chapter on the background to regulating pollution from ships. It is intended as a source of information for professionals connected to maritime activities as well as policy makers and interested public. It is also intended as a textbook in higher education academic programmes.
- Author BiographyKarin Andersson, Professor, PhD is professor in Maritime Environment at the department of Shipping and Marine Technology, Chalmers University of Technol-ogy since 2009. Her scientific background is in Chemical Engineering (MSc, KTH 1975), Nuclear Chemistry (PhD, Chalmers 1983) and archaeology. After seven years as a consultant and researcher in environmental systems analysis, she was one of the founders of the research group for Environmental Systems Analysis at Chalmers in 1990. This group has been developing master's courses in environ-ment/sustainable development and was pioneer in research on Life Cycle Assess-ment (LCA) in Sweden. In the mid 1990'ies a national competence centre, CPM (now Swedish Life Cycle Center) with participation of more than 10 large Swedish companies was started with the group as host. Karin was also a vice president at Chalmers 2004-2007. Present research interests focuses on decrease of environmental impact and resource use by the technical systems in shipping.Selma Brynolf, PhD is a researcher at the Department of Shipping and Marine Technology and the Department of Energy and Environment at Chalmers Univer-sity of Technology conducting research about the global energy system with focus on shipping and marine fuels. She received her Master of Science in Industrial Ecol-ogy in 2009. After her master of science she started Ph.D. at the Department of Shipping and Marine Technology at Chalmers University of Technology. The re-searched involved environmental assessment of present and potential future marine fuels and she earned her Ph.D. degree in 2014. She has published papers within the area of marine fuels, life cycle assessment and global energy system modelling.J. Fredrik Lindgren, PhD is a researcher at the Department of Shipping and Ma-rine Technology at Chalmers University of Technology. He studied marine biology at the Department of Marine Ecology, University of Gothenburg and received his Master of Science degree in 2003, doing work related to the settlement of barnacle larvas and the development of non-toxic antifouling paints. After his master of sci-ence he continued to work in this area, before starting his doctoral studies. There he studied ecotoxicological effects of small but frequent oil spills and factors that can influence the effects of the spills, earning his Ph.D. degree in 2015. He has published papers within the areas of marine biofouling, risk assessment, and ecotoxicology of oil.Magda Wilewska-Bien, Lic. Tech. is a PhD student at the Department of Shipping and Marine Technology at Chalmers University of Technology. She received Lic. Tech. degree in Environmental Inorganic Chemistry in 2004 and Master of Science degree studying programme Applied Environmental Measurement Techniques. She maintains a professional interest in environmental science and in particular management of wastes.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication24/02/2016
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note49 black & white illustrations, 28 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight836 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJ. Fredrik Lindgren,Karin Andersson,Magda Wilewska-Bien,Selma Brynolf
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.