All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the acclaimed author of Rip It Up and Start Again and Retromania-- the foremost popular music critic of this era (Times Literary Supplement)--comes the definitive cultural history of glam and glitter rock, celebrating its outlandish fashion and outrageous stars, including David Bowie and Alice Cooper, and tracking its vibrant legacy in contemporary pop.Spearheaded by David Bowie, Alice Cooper, T. Rex, and Roxy Music, glam rock reveled in artifice and spectacle. Reacting against the hairy, denim-clad rock bands of the late sixties, glam was the first true teenage rampage of the new decade. In Shock and Awe, Simon Reylds takes you on a wild cultural tour through the early seventies, a period packed with glitzy costumes and alien make-up, thrilling music and larger-than-life personas.Shock and Awe offers a fresh, in-depth look at the glam and glitter phemen, placing it the wider seventies context of social upheaval and political disillusion. It explores how artists like Lou Reed, New York Dolls, and Queen broke with the hippie generation, celebrating illusion and artifice over truth and authenticity. Probing the genre's major themes--stardom, androgyny, image, decadence, fandom, apocalypse--Reylds tracks glam's legacy as it unfolded in subsequent decades, from eighties art-pop icons like Kate Bush through to twenty-first century idols of outrage such as Lady Gaga. Shock and Awe shows how the original glam artists' obsessions with fame, extreme fashion, and theatrical excess continue to reverberate through contemporary pop culture.
- Author(s)Simon Reynolds
- PublisherDey Street Books
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDey Street Books
- Read byNicholas Camm
- Contained items statement2 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time1402
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $33.46Trending at AU $39.19
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.96
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.28
- AU $28.40Trending at AU $31.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.