CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Portuguese have always had a special relationship with the sea. Historically a nation of master mariners and navigators, the people of this small coastal country were among the first Europeans with a presence in Asia, reaching India, Malaysia, Vietnam, South China, Macau and Japan early in the sixteenth century. The impact of these courageous voyagers is felt in the region to the present day, in the colonial remains of Goa, Malacca, Macau and elsewhere, as well as in the written language of the Vietnamese. Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen was one of the most loved and respected poetic voices in modern Portuguese literature. Throughout her long career, her writing, like the life and history of her people, returned to and revolved about the sea. In this new anthology, the reader may sample the words of this eloquent yet approachable literary voice, drawn from works written over a span of some 50 years of her prolific career. Poetry, she once explained, is my understanding with the universe, my way of relating to things, my participation in reality, my encounter with voices and images. That is why the poem speaks t of an ideal life but of a concrete one: the angle of a window, the resonance of streets, cities and rooms, the shade cast by a wall, a sudden face, the stars' silence, distance and brightness, the night's breathing, the scent of the linden and of orega.
- Author BiographySophia de Mello Breyner Andresen, (1919-2004) was one of the most loved and respected poetic voices in modern Portuguese literature. The winner of numerous literary awards, her work as been translated widely.
- Author(s)Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen
- PublisherOrchid Press
- Date of Publication28/03/2006
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCentral
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintOrchid Press
- Content Note1
- Weight207 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.