All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor 700 years the small isolated community in the Wey valley at Shottermill was a corner of industry. By the end of the nineteenth century there had existed six watermills which over the years had been used for operations as diverse as corn milling, fulling, iron working, and in particular sickle making, leather dressing, and paper and military braid making. On surrounding commons 'broom-makers' used the natural products of the heathland to manufacture besoms for sale as far afield as London, while yeoman farmers and their descendants used the better land for livestock and arable crops. This second volume on the history of Shottermill covers the period from the appearance of the Simmons family of paper makers in the 1700s to the early twentieth century when it became part of Haslemere. A first volume covers the history of Shottermill from the earliest days through the times of plague, the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the Civil War to the decline of the local iron industry in the 1700s.
- Author BiographyGreta Turner read History and Archaeology at the University of Birmingham and worked for most of her life in London in the Library & Information Group of an International Chemical Engineering company. In 1976 she and her husband came to live in Haslemere, where she was Recorder of the local Archaeological Group for many years, served for a short time on the Council of the Surrey Archaeological Society, and directed the restoration of the Mediaeval Moated Homestead at South Park, Grayswood. After assisting in the transcription of the Diaries of James Simmons, paper maker of Sickle Mill, she continued in the 1990s to investigate the local Wey Valley's industrial past.
- Author(s)Greta A Turner
- PublisherJohn Owen Smith
- Date of Publication07/02/2005
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBordon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Owen Smith
- Content Note55ill.8M.
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.