Siberia: In the Eyes of Russian Photographers by Leah Bendavid-Val (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $115.25Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by booktopia_australia
- Est. delivery by 19 Mar
- AU $55.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe word Siberia brings to mind a series of extremes - vast, bleak, harsh, alluring, wild, and beautiful. Our imagined tion of this largely unkwn territory is so strong that the name itself has become a metaphor for things remote or undesirable. The reality, however, is that Siberia surpasses any singular idea. Not only does it span numerous time zones and feature ermously varied geography, but its inhabitants range from mads herding reindeer and shamans communing with spirits to scientists in state-of-the-art laboratories and urbanites proud of their boutiques, museums, and opera houses. Spanning more than 130 years, this collection of images by more than fifty Russian photographers conveys as never before Siberia's ermity and diversity while bringing the region into concrete, human focus. It draws from the collections of Russian museums as well as the archives of established and emerging photographers. Leah Bendavid-Val's compelling commentary tells the stories behind the pictures and places them in historical and artistic context, quoting observations and memories of Siberia by explorers, settlers, and literary giants from Dostoevsky to Chekhov. As attested by the ever-growing number of books, news reports, and travelers to the region, Siberia is an enduring subject of fascination to many. This beautiful volume is at once a groundbreaking photographic event and a sublime introduction to one of earth's most intriguing places.
- Author BiographyLeah Bendavid-Val has worked with Russian photography for more than two decades. She is a senior scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Kennan Institute), Washington DC. The former director of photography publishing for National Geographic Books, she is the author of National Geographic: The Photographs; the coauthor and editor of the best-selling National Geographic Image Collection; and the author most recently of Song without Words: The Photographs and Diaries of Countess Sophia Tolstoy.
- Author(s)Leah Bendavid-Val
- Date of Publication19/08/2013
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Out-of-print date08/12/2016
- Content Note176
- Weight1429 g
- Width230 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.