Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.18Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $9.52+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHermann Hesse's moving and inspirational chronicle of spiritual evolution, Siddhartha, includes a new introduction by bestselling author Paulo Coehlo in Penguin Classics. Siddhartha is perhaps the most important and compelling moral allegory our troubled century has produced. Integrating Eastern and Western spiritual traditions with psychoanalysis and philosophy, this strangely simple tale, written with a deep and moving empathy for humanity, has touched the lives of millions since its original publication in 1922. Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation. Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) suffered from depression, endured criticism for his pacifist views, and weathered series of personal crises which led him to undergo psychoanalysis with J. B. Lang; a process which resulted in Demian (1919), a vel whose main character is torn between the orderliness of bourgeois existence and the turbulent and enticing world of sensual experience. This dichotomy is prominent in Hesse's subsequent vels, including Siddhartha (1922), Steppenwolf (1927), Narcissus and Goldmund (1930) and his magnum opus, The Glass Bead Game (1943). Hesse was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946. Paulo Coelho was born in Brazil and has become one of the most widely read authors in the world. Especially rewned for The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes, he has sold more than 100 million books worldwide and has been translated into 66 languages. If you enjoyed Siddhartha, you might like Hesse's Steppenwolf, also available in Penguin Classics.
- Author BiographyHermann Hesse was born in southern Germany in 1877. His most famous works are Siddhartha (1922), Journey to the East (1932), Demian (1919), Steppenwolf (1927), and Narcissus and Goldmund (1930). Hesse died at his home in Switzerland in 1962. Paulo Coelho was born in Brazil and has become one of the most widely read authors in the world. Especially renowned for The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes, he has sold more than 100 million books worldwide and has been translated into 66 languages.
- Author(s)Hermann Hesse
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/08/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Modern Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight112 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Introduction byPaulo Coelho
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best Selling in Fiction Books
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $57.17New
- AU $47.50Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor's Official Guide by BBC Children's Books (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $18.53New
- AU $6.51New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $57.17
- AU $55.73Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $18.53
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.57
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $33.96Trending at AU $35.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.