Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $68.44Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew people kw Chicago as do Rick Kogan and Charles Osgood, and their Sidewalks column for the Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine is a tour of the city like other, taking readers to the off-beat and quintessential spots that give Chicago its character - that make its inhabitants feel at home and tell its visitors that they have arrived. Accompanied by evocative color photographs by Charles Osgood, Kogan's pieces revisit the lost places and people of Chicago, and take readers down the quiet byways and thriving thoroughfares, pointing out the characters and cornerstones, the oddities and institutions that make the city what it is. In this collection you will find an elegy for Maxwell Street, the marketplace that pulsed with city life for more than 100 years; a remembrance of a disturbing advertisement ( Are you a slave to house-work? ) on the side of a building on Irving Park Road; a cross marking a deadly intersection; a magical miniature golf course; as well as ballad singer Fred Holstein, the denizens of the World Gym and memories of Bensinger's pool hall, the day-camp kids of summer, bike couriers, the creatures of the beach, and much, much more. Here is Chicago, past, present, and - let's hope - future, captured in the unique archive of Sidewalks.
- Author BiographyRick Kogan is a popular journalist and radio host. He is the author of ten books, most recently A Chicago Tavern, the history of the Billy Goat (Lake Claremont Press, 2006), and America's Mom: The Life, Lessons, and Legacy of Ann Landers (William Morrow, 2003), and co-author with Maurice Possley of Everybody Pays (Berkley, 2002). In addition to writing for the Chicago Tribune, he is the creator-host of The Sunday Papers with Rick Kogan on Chicago radio station WGN and is the host for the City of Chicago's Conversations with Extraordinary People monthly series at Maxim's. Charles Osgood has been a Chicago Tribune photographer for more than thirty-five years and teaches photojournalism at Columbia College, Chicago.
- Author(s)Rick Kogan
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Content Note107 colour photographs
- Weight1161 g
- Width229 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Illustrator(s)Charles Osgood
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.