All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title presents a detailed study of the development of Thomas Cranmer's theology of the Eucharist in context of his sacramental theology and the reform of the liturgy.The development of Thomas Cranmer's theology of the Eucharist has often been studied and debated. This book places that development in the context of his sacramental theology and overall policy towards the reform of the liturgy. The first part of the book describes the traditional practice and perceptions of the Eucharist and Baptism (a somewhat different picture from that presented e.g. by Duffy's Stripping of the Altars). It then follows the evidence for liturgical reform and the development in Cranmer's thought through the reign of Henry VIII and the beginning of Edward VI's reign leading up to the two Prayer Books.Detailed examination of the 1549 Prayer Book confirms scholarly consensus that its theological standpoint is identical to that of 1552, the fullest and clearest liturgical expression of Cranmer's standpoint; however there are sections in it which (along with the Order of Communion of 1548) suggest the influence of a less radical sacramental and Eucharistic theology. It is suggested that the 1549 Prayer Book was originally drafted as a liturgy to accompany the King's Book of 1543 but was hurriedly changed as Cranmer's thought developed through 1548.
- Author BiographyRevd Gordon Jeanes is an Anglican priest and has written on many aspects of worship. He was formerly Geoffrey Cuming Fellow in Liturgy in the University of Durham and Lecturer in Church History in the University of Wales, Cardiff. His former publications include The Origins of the Roman Rite (1991) and Cranmer and Common Prayer in the Oxford Guide to the BCP (2006).
- Author(s)Gordon P. Jeanes
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication12/06/2008
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Note5 bw illustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.