All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSilviculture, once regarded solely as reforestation and growing trees for timber, is understood today as also maintaining forest health, reducing fire potential, benefitting wildlife and aesthetics, and ensuring multiple options for the future against the uncertainties of a changing climate. Silviculture and Ecology of Western U.S. Forests, Second Edition, is a text for students, professional forest managers, and scientists that summarizes both early and contemporary research and principles relevant to the silviculture, ecology, and multi-purpose management of western U. S. forests. Based on its authors' significant experiences and contributions in the field, as well as nearly 1000 additional references, Silviculture and Ecology remains the only text that focuses on silviculture in western U.S. forests-providing background and basis for current biological, ecological, and managerial practices. Detailed chapters on fire, tree growth, and management of complex stand structures, as well as shrub ecology and an ecosystem framework, are bolstered in the second edition. A new series of case studies illustrates how silvicultural practices are developed and modified as forests grow and new challenges and opportunities occur. Contemporary silvicultural practices, particularly pertaining to fire use, vegetation management, soil fertility, and fertilization have been updated, and modifications that enhance standard practices are demonstrated throughout the text. In this comprehensive reference, readers entering the field will come to understand the significance of carefully managing forests by conscious design, and experienced silviculturists will benefit from the edition's up-to-date information, providing forest users with a greater range of ecosystem services and consumable products alike.
- Author BiographyJohn C. Tappeiner II is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Forest Engineering, Resources, and Management at Oregon State University, USA. John D. Bailey is an Associate Professor in the Department of Forest Engineering, Resources, and Management at Oregon State University, USA. Timothy B. Harrington is a Research Forester for the Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service in Olympia, Washington, USA. Douglas A. Maguire is Associate Professor in the Department of Forest Engineering, Resources, and Management at Oregon State University, USA.
- Author(s)Douglas A. Maguire,John C. Trappeiner,John D. Bailey,Timothy B. Harrington
- PublisherOregon State University
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCorvallis, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOregon State University
- Content Noteblack & white photographs & illustrations
- Weight708 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.