All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs long as there is good money to be made from igring or cultivating the igrance of working people, education for their children in the best sense is going to be a difficult goal. This book delineates in three case studies how our main myths of emancipation and upward mobility work as images of delusion. The frontier of space, the arena of sports, and the goal of employment, all essential elements in the discourse of reform, provide big windows into the absurd interior of the dreamscape of rhetorical hope that lay over the official landscape. The teacher has been replaced by the user-friendly, standardized trainer/coach/cooperative facilitator who works in the swamps of student minds so drained by consumerism that false consciousness cant even grow. Reading the meaning of death in the ring, death in the rocket, murder in the workplace, Senese makes us tice the simulated, spectacular effects that distract from the important educational work that educators must do in this post-industrial world.
- Author BiographyGUY SENESE is Associate Professor of Educational Foundations in the Department of Leadership and Educational Policy Studies at Northern Illinois University. He is the author of Self-Determination and the Social Education of Native Americans (Praeger, 1991) and coauthor, with Steven Tozer and Paul Violas, of School and Society: Educational Practice as Social Expression (1992). RALPH PAGE is Associate Professor of Philosophy of Education in the Department of Educational Policy Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Author(s)Guy B. Senese,Ralph Page
- Date of Publication25/04/1995
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Education & Culture
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight331 g
- Width139 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.