All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the tumultuous 1950s in America, sex was as threatening to the nation's moral order as communism. New York was the capital of the post--World War II world and the epicenter of a fierce culture war over music, theatre, movies, fashion, and literature, as well as birth control, homosexuality, adolescent sex, porgraphy, and prostitution. Over the last half-century, America's social life--especially tions of culture, sexuality, and politics--has fundamentally changed, and what were once sinful or subversive sexual practices have been integrated into the marketplace, irreversibly changing American moral values; the once illicit has become an industry of more than $50 billion. Drawing on first-person interviews, unpublished memoirs, newspaper accounts, contemporary studies, government documents, and recent scholarship, Sin, Sex & Subversion argues that deviant sexuality was subversive, and that unique New York outsiders of the 1950s set the stage for the following decades and the world we kw today. In each chapter, author David Rosen examines a critical moral issue through an in-depth profile of figures such as Liberace, Samuel Roth, Bettie Page, the Rosenbergs, and others. Through these individuals, Rosen shows how those who operated outside the law or who challenged popular values, even if they were silenced in their time, ended up paving the way for a new rmal. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in history-books about World War II, the Third Reich, Hitler and his henchmen, the JFK assassination, conspiracies, the American Civil War, the American Revolution, gladiators, Vikings, ancient Rome, medieval times, the old West, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyDavid Rosen is a writer and business-development consultant. He regularly contributes articles on sexuality, popular culture, and media to AlterNet, Brooklyn Rail, CounterPunch, and Salon. He also writes on technology and public policy for Cyber Defense, Filmmaker, and IndieWire. He is the author of Sex Scandal America: Politics & the Ritual of Public Shaming. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)David Rosen
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication18/02/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCarrel Books
- Weight657 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.