All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn 9 August 2015, Singapore celebrated its 50th year of national independence, a milestone for the nation as it has overcome major ecomic, social, cultural and political challenges in a short period of time. Whilst this was a celebratory event to ackwledge the role of the People's Action Party (PAP) government, it was also marked by national remembrance as founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew died in March 2015. This book critically reflects on Singapore's 50 years of independence. Contributors interrogate a selected range of topics on Singapore's history, culture and society - including the constitution, education, religion and race - and thereby facilitate a better understanding of its shared national past. Central to this book is an examination of how Singaporeans have learnt to adapt and change through PAP government policies since independence in 1965. All chapters begin their histories from that point in time and each contribution focuses either on an area that has been neglected in Singapore's modern history or offer new perspectives on the past. Using a multi-disciplinary approach, it presents an independent and critical take on Singapore's post-1965 history. A valuable assessment to students and researchers alike, Singapore: Negotiating State and Society, 1965-2015 is of interest to specialists in Southeast Asian history and politics.
- Author BiographyJason Lim is Senior Lecturer in Asian History at the University of Wollongong, Australia. Terence Lee is Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies at Murdoch University, Australia. His recent publications by Routledge include The Media, Cultural Control and Government in Singapore (2010) and Political Regimes and the Media in Asia (2008; co-edited with Krishna Sen). He is Thematic and Reviews Editor (Media and Culture) of the Asian Studies Review and Founding Associate Editor of Communication Research and Practice, both published by Routledge.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 1 black & white halftones
- Weight650 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byJason Lim,Terence Lee
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.