Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.39Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is devoted to Arthur Oldham, one of the greatest English chorus masters in the second half of the twentieth century. It is written from the point of view of a chorister who had the privilege of singing symphonic choral music under Oldham's direction, first as a member of the LSO Chorus from 1969 to 1974 and then the Edinburgh Festival Chorus from 1974 to 1977. The book describes how Arthur Oldham became a chorus master, and examines his approach and methods with regard to choral training. It looks at the origins and development of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus and Oldham's work with the LSO Chorus. Pre-eminent among the conductors he worked with are Carlo Maria Giulini and Colin Davis and the book examines his relationship with both. The list of legendary conductors he also worked with includes Bernstein, Stokowski, Kertesz, Previn, Abbado and Barenboim. To that list two composer-conductors, Britten and Tippett need to be added, and particularly the former as Arthur was Britten's only composition pupil. The book looks at and compares the differing interpretative approaches to the choral masterworks of these conductors and reviews the critical reaction to the resulting concerts and recordings. It also chronicles the stresses and satisfactions of an amateur chorister who has to hold down a demanding job while singing symphonic choral music at the highest level with major orchestras under the leading maestros of the day.
- Author BiographyRobin Moore was born in Kent on the border with Sussex. After studying business and commerce at Edinburgh University his career in advertising and marketing has taken him to York, London, Edinburgh and Dublin. He has always had a strong interest in music, playing in orchestras and singing in choirs. His nine years singing for Arthur Oldham in the London Symphony Orchestra Chorus and the Edinburgh Festival Chorus he regards as very special. He lives in Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin.
- Author(s)Robin Moore
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication10/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Foreword byJihn Bridcut,John Bridcut
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.