All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionSittingbourne Through Time provides a detailed insight to this unique town. Straddling the old Roman road between London and Dover, the town's position on this ancient route made it a stopover in which to refresh travellers and their horses. By showcasing modern and archive photographs side by side, the progress over the last century is apparent. From the railways to the barges, the author perfectly documents this quaint and quirky town. After the First World War heavy industry remained important, but there was an increasing emphasis on secondary manufacturing and services. Old derelict brickfields became new commercial estates; commuters to London found property affordable and electrification of the railway track made their daily journey easier. Now the population of over 50,000 expects an enhanced town centre and shopping facilities. Whether the reader is a life-long local of Sittingbourne or a tourist, there is something for everyone within this fully updated version of Sittingbourne Through Time.
- Author BiographyRobert Turcan is a retired fund manager who was brought up on a fruit farm in the North Kent horticultural belt. He has a lifelong interest in local history, in the pursuit of which he has amassed a considerable collection of topographical postcards, books and maps. His appreciation of the constantly changing environment is complimented by keen amateur photography, as well as a number of previously published titles on Kent's towns.
- Author(s)Robert Turcan
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.