All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Teun Zuiderent-Jerak considers how the direct involvement of social scientists in the practices they study can lead to the production of sociological kwledge. Neither detached sociological scholarship r engaged social science, this new approach to sociological research brings together two activities often viewed as belonging to different realms: intervening in practices and furthering scholarly understanding of them. Just as the natural sciences benefited from broadening their scholarship from theorizing to experiment, so too could the social sciences. Additionally, Zuiderent-Jerak points out, rather than proceeding from a pre-set rmative agenda, scholarly intervention allows for the experimental production of rmativity. Scholars are far from detached, but still may be surprised by the rmative outcomes of the interactions within the experiment. Zuiderent-Jerak illustrates situated intervention research with a series of examples drawn from health care. Among the topics addressed are patient compliance in hemophilia home care, the organization of oncology care and the value of situated standardization, the relationship between standardization and patient centeredness, the development of patient-centered pathways, value-driven and savings-driven approaches to the construction of health care markets, and multiple ontologies of safety in care for older adults. Finally, returning to the question of rmativity in sociological research, Zuiderent-Jerak proposes an ethics of specificity according to which research adapts its sociological responses to the practices studied. Sociology t only has more to offer to the practices it studies; it also has more to learn from them.
- Author BiographyTeun Zuiderent-Jerak is Linkoping University Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer in Science and Technology Studies at Linkoping University, Sweden. He was formerly Associate Professor of Science and Technology Studies at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Author(s)Teun Zuiderent-Jerak
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication11/09/2015
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleInside Technology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note17 b&w illus.
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $60.93Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.