All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a survey of contemporary artists who use cut paper - from small-scale intricate cuttings to monumental architectural interventions and sculpture - as an art form. Eclectic, eccentric and tirelessly invative, art crafted from cut paper has experienced an exciting renaissance in recent years. Published to accompany a traveling exhibit organized by the Museum of Arts and Design in New York, Slash: Paper Under the Knife examines the resurgence of traditional handcraft materials and techniques in contemporary art and design. Highlighting the work of forty-five international artists, among them Olafur Eliasson, Tom Friedman, William Kentridge, and Kara Walker, the book features t only cut but also burned, torn, laser-cut, shredded and sculpted paper art. In addition, the book includes cut paper animation, as well as cut paper incorporated in photography and fashion. Works range from small-scale intricate cuttings to large-scale architectural inventions and sculptures. With an essay by well-kwn decorative arts expert David Revere McFadden, this singular book reveals that, with ingenuity and craftsmanship, one of our most familiar implements can be transformed into unforgettable works of art.
- Author BiographyDavid Revere McFadden is Chief Curator and Vice President for Programs and Collections at the Museum of Arts & Design in New York City. He served as Curator of Decorative Arts and Assistant Director for Collections and Research at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution from 1978 to 1995. McFadden has organized more than 120 exhibitions on decorative arts, design, and craft, covering developments from the ancient world to the present day, has published more than 100 catalogues, essays, articles, and reviews, and has lectured extensively.
- Author(s)David Revere McFadden
- PublisherFive Continents Editions
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- First Published2009
- ImprintFive Continents Editions
- Content Note230 colour illustrations
- Weight950 g
- Width204 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.