All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCuba had the largest slave society of the Spanish colonial empire. At Santa Ana de Biajacas the plantation owner sequestered slaves behind a massive masonry wall. In the first archaeological investigation of a Cuban plantation by an English speaker, Theresa Singleton explores how elite Cuban planters used the built environment to impose a hierarchical social order upon slave laborers. Behind the wall, slaves reclaimed the space as their own, forming communities, building their own houses, celebrating, gambling, and even harboring slave runaways. What emerged there is t just an identity distinct from other North American and Caribbean plantations, but a unique slave culture that thrived despite a spartan lifestyle. Singleton's study provides insight into the larger historical context of the African diaspora, global patterns of enslavement, and the development of Cuba as an integral member of the larger Atlantic World.
- Author BiographyTheresa A. Singleton is associate professor of anthropology at Syracuse University, USA. She has served as curator for historical archaeology at the Smithsonian Institution, and is a past recipient of the Society of Historical Archaeology's J. C. Harrington Award for her lifetime contributions to the field. She is the editor of I, Too, Am American: Archaeological Studies of African-American Life and Archaeology of Slavery and Plantation Life.
- Author(s)Theresa A. Singleton
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleCultural Heritage Studies
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note3 tables, 36 black & white illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.