Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAfrican slavery was pervasive in Spain's Atlantic empire yet remained in the margins of the imperial ecomy until the end of the eighteenth century when the plantation revolution in the Caribbean colonies put the slave traffic and the plantation at the center of colonial exploitation and conflict. The international group of scholars brought together in this volume explain Spain's role as a colonial pioneer in the Atlantic world and its latecomer status as a slave-trading, plantation-based empire. These contributors map the broad contours and transformations of slave-trafficking, the plantation, and antislavery in the Hispanic Atlantic while also delving into specific topics that include: the institutional and ecomic foundations of colonial slavery; the law and religion; the influences of the Haitian Revolution and British abolitionism; antislavery and proslavery movements in Spain; race and citizenship; and the business of the illegal slave trade.
- Author BiographyJosep M. Fradera is Professor of History at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and a researcher at the Institucio Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avancats (ICREA). He is the author of Colonias para despues de un imperio (2005). Christopher Schmidt-Nowara is Professor of History and Prince of Asturias Chair in Spanish Culture & Civilization at Tufts University. He is the author of Slavery, Freedom, and Abolition in Latin America and the Atlantic World (2011).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleEuropean Expansion & Global Interaction
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note18 figures & tables, 5 maps
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byChristopher Schmidt-Nowara,Josep M. Fradera
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.