All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeography played a key role in Britain's long national debate over slavery. Writers on both sides of the question represented the sites of slavery - Africa, the Caribbean, and the British Isles - as fully imagined places and the basis for a pro- or anti-slavery political agenda. With the help of twenty-first-century theories of space and place, Elizabeth A. Bohls examines the writings of planters, slaves, soldiers, sailors, and travellers whose diverse geographical and social locations inflect their representations of slavery. She shows how these writers use discourses of aesthetics, natural history, cultural geography, and gendered domesticity to engage with the slavery debate. Six interlinked case studies, including Scottish mercenary John Stedman and domestic slave Mary Prince, examine the power of these discourses to represent the places of slavery, setting slaves' narratives in dialogue with pro-slavery texts, and highlighting in the latter previously unticed traces of the enslaved.
- Author BiographyElizabeth A. Bohls, Associate Professor of English at the University of Oregon, is author of Women Travel Writers and the Language of Aesthetics, 1716-1818 (Cambridge University Press, 1995), Romantic Literature and Postcolonial Studies (2013) and co-editor with Ian Duncan of Travel Writing, 1700-1830 (2005).
- Author(s)Elizabeth A. Bohls
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Romanticism
- Series Part/Volume Number108
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note9 b/w illus.
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.