All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe average human spends one third of their life asleep, yet most people kw relatively little about what goes on when their head touches the pillow and their eyes close for the next eight hours. This book brings together an unprecedented number and range of contributions from different disciplines relating to sleep in one comprehensive volume. This important multidisciplinary volume opens with a look at the history of sleep, both in literature and in life, and goes on to consider sociological aspects. Sleep problems, sleep quality and the effects of drugs such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are all discussed, together with the importance of sleep for daytime performance and the science of the human body clock. Medication and polysomgraphy (measuring sleep) are also explored, alongside forensic aspects of sleep, and how it can be affected by medical and psychiatric conditions. This groundbreaking and insightful book will be of great interest to students, academics and professionals in a wide range of disciplines, and anyone else who wishes to discover more about this fascinating topic.
- Author BiographyAndrew Green took his first degree in geography at what is now Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge before training as an occupational therapist in York. He worked in mental health for six years, in the UK and in Uganda, and started work in neuropsychiatry at the Burden Neurological Hospital in Bristol in 1992. Since 1999 he has been involved in innovative work running a group for the cognitive behavioural management of insomnia. He has become increasingly interested in sleep and the behavioural management of sleep disorders. He lives in Bristol.
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/07/2012
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAlex Westcombe,Andrew Green
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.