Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionPegge Parker lived two lives. Her first life as a journalist in D.C., and Alaska took her by Slow Boat to China (the first book in the series) where her gutsy adventures landed her in China on her writing skills alone. Slow Boat to Pakistan picks up after her husband Doug Mackiernan, a CIA operative, was killed on the Tibetan border escaping from China. Now a mother and a widow, and needing to make a living, Pegge left their baby twins with Doug's parents in Boston and embarked on ather slow boat, this time through the Suez Canal to Pakistan where she began a new career as Vice Consul and Press Officer at the American Consulate in Lahore. Pegge continued her adventurous life by reporting for the State Department during her travels to the Northwest Territories and the Khyber Pass bordering Afghanistan, to Katmandu in Nepal and the Himalayas and to exotic destinations in India. Her insightful peeks inside the political world and the diplomatic life were captured in her meticulous diary tes and letters to her parents chronicled here. Pegge made plans to come back to the U.S. and write for the Ladies' Home Journal and make a home for her three-year-old twins. Enter John Hlavacek, a United Press reporter in India, who, after a chance meeting and tumultuous courtship, married Pegge in Bombay and whisked her off to Rome for a month-long honeymoon.
- Author BiographyJohn and Pegge spent their lives traveling the world reporting as foreign press correspondents. John first taught English in China during the 1930s, after graduating from Carleton College. He then joined the United Press in 1944 as a war correspondent. He met Pegge Parker, a beautiful widowed journalist with an eye toward writing her way around the world. They married, living and working in India during the first years of their marriage. The Hlavaceks were then off to New York and next Jamaica, where John and Pegge supported the family by covering news events across the globe. In 1961, the family moved to Florida when John began work as staff correspondent for NBC in Havana. John and Pegge meticulously chronicled their lives before and after they met-and the stories they brought to us from afar. Today, John resides in Omaha, Nebraska. Pegge passed away in November 2008.
- Author(s)Pegge Parker
- PublisherHlucky Books
- Date of Publication13/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHlucky Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJohn Hlavacek
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.