Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.07+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $48.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSLOW: Life in a Tuscan Town is an unprecedented photographic personal journey into the heart of hidden Tuscany that celebrates the principles that define the Slow Food movement and pays tribute to the region's kaleidoscope of vibrant characters, whose shared culture revolves around the everyday pleasure of growing, preparing, and eating food. With an anecdotal charm reminiscent of Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence, Douglas Gayeton's interplay of pictures and words conveys a thrilling narrative that transports you halfway around the globe to the charming town of Pistoia, nestled in the outskirts of Florence. There we meet the mushroom hunters and sheep farmers, the winemakers and fishermen, the bakers, butchers and chocolate makers whose lives are profoundly bound to the rhythms of nature. It is a riveting story told in a riveting way: each image comprised of multiple photographs taken over a period of time that can range anywhere from ten minutes to several hours, and layered with Gayeton's handwritten tes, recipes, facts, and sayings. With this process, Gayeton has managed to introduce the concept of story and time; both compressed and exploded, into his portraits. The result is a photographic approach critics have dubbed flat film; the effect is exhilarating. As Gayeton observes, What my eyes saw was always grander than any lens could capture...How could I introduce the presence of time, of an emerging and evolving story comprised of t one, but many moments, into a single photograph? In the accompanying text, Gayeton offers an absorbing first person account of his immersion into rural Italian culture, offering an intimacy that draws us deeper into this romantic and rustic world. A photographer, a pioneering new media creator, a wonderful writer and an award winning documentarian, Gayeton is passionately interested in food, culture, art, and people.
- Author BiographyDouglas Gayeton is a filmmaker, photographer, and writer. His images areheld in a number of influential museum and private collections around theworld, and have been featured in numerous print and online media, such asTime Magazine. Since the early 90s he has created award-winning work at the boundaries of traditional and converging media for AOL, MSN, MTV, Yahoo, Fox, Napster, Vivendi, Sony, Viacom, Sega, Intel, National Geographic, PBS, Warner Bros, Columbia, and Virgin Records. Recent projects include LOST IN ITALY, a 26 episode interstitial TV series Gayeton created, directed, and shot for Fine Living, and A SECOND LIFE ODYSSEY for HBO, the first documentary shot inside a virtual world. Gayeton lectures frequently on art, technology and sustainability.
- Author(s)Douglas Gayeton
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication29/09/2009
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWelcome Enterprises, Inc
- Content Note75 sepia photographs, 8 colour images, 8 gatefolds
- Weight2176 g
- Width342 mm
- Height289 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.