All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis remarkable exploration of the underbelly of New York City life from 1880 to 1930 takes readers through the city's inexhaustible variety of distinctive neighborhood cultures. Slumming in New York shows how the city's rich and poor, foreign-born and native-born, competed for a voice from such diverse vantage points as the East Side waterfront, the Bowery, the Tenderloin's \u0022black bohemia,\u0022 the Jewish Lower East Side, and mythic Harlem. Investigating a wide range of New York \u0022slumming\u0022 narratives in which mainstream outsiders write about marginalized urban insiders, Robert M. Dowling shows how literary works transformed moral threats into cultural treasures.
- Author BiographyRobert M. Dowling is an assistant professor of English at Central Connecticut State University.
- Author(s)Robert M. Dowling
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication16/12/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note27 photographs
- Weight386 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.