All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA vital question that concerns many: how to make surgery safer? Is it by tightening the regulations and imposing rigid protocols or by empowering surgeons with the resources to help them make safer decisions? This is the book for those who would choose the second option. What do you think separates smart surgeons from the rest? Why, on the other hand, do surgeons make blunders despite having experience and kwledge? There is only one answer to both questions -- it is decision-making. Decision-making is an art and is at the heart of surgery. It decides between excellent and poor surgical performance. Although a vital part of professional activity, surgeons are t generally aware of how to optimise decision-making skills. Making a good decision is a skill that, like any skill, needs to be developed and this book reveals how surgeons can sharpen these skills. Presented here are the findings from decision science that surgeons, irrespective of speciality or seniority, can apply to everyday practice. Surgeons and pilots have many things in common. The field of aviation has improved passengers' safety over the years and some of the ideas used in the aviation industry can be translated to surgery to achieve better outcomes. Surgeons are required to adapt new strategies throughout their careers. Ideas taken from this book will help to speed up the learning curve. It offers answers to the questions which experienced surgeons may find difficult to explain. Equally, it answers the questions that trainees may even find difficult to ask. You are expected to be cognisant of the kwledge behind making decisions. Nonetheless, -one tells you how to access this information easily. This book is the key to that vital information.
- Author BiographyUttam Shiralkar MS, FRCS, MRCPsych is Consultant at Worcestershire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, UK.
- Author(s)Uttam Shiralkar
- PublisherTFM Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2010
- SubjectSurgery: Professional
- Place of PublicationHarley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTFM Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight456 g
- Width175 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.