All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the 1950s the Romani people lived on the brink of great change. In their bright wooden wagons they journeyed between horse-fairs and traditional stopping places - stoic, humorous and wild, often poverty-stricken but protective of their freedom - on the fringes of a society that was soon to close around them. Dominic Reeve describes his life among the Gypsies: the feuds and fairs, the joyful muddy squalor of an outdoor existence. He evokes an unforgettable cast of fireside characters - bold children, fierce matriarchs and dandyish villains in snap-brimmed hats - and tells of sharp deals done and rings run round country policemen, of love affairs, dances and open-air feasting. Smoke in the Lanes is the vivid, memorable record of a disappeared world.
- Author BiographyDominic Reeve wrote Smoke in the Lanes, his first book, in 1958. Since then he has written four more books including Beneath the Blue Sky: Four Decades of the Gypsy Traveller Life. He lives and works in a semi-nomadic style with his partner, Beshlie, an illustrator.
- Author(s)Dominic Reeve
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIntegrated: 16, b/w drawings
- Weight238 g
- Width133 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.