All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHailed in the New York Times as entertaining and immensely educational, Snake Oil Science is t only a brilliant critique of alternative medicine, but also a first-rate introduction to interpreting scientific research of any sort. The book's ultimate goal is to illustrate how the placebo effect conspires to make medical therapies appear to be effective-t just to consumers, but to therapists and poorly trained scientists as well. Bausell explores this remarkable phemen and explains why research on any therapy that does t factor in the placebo effect (and other placebo-like effects) will inevitably produce false results. Moreover, as the author shows in an impressive survey of research from high-quality scientific journals, studies employing credible placebo controls do t indicate positive effects for alternative therapies beyond those attributable to random chance. Readers will come away from this book with a healthy skepticism of claims about the latest miracle cure, be it St. John's Wort for depression or acupuncture for chronic pain.
- Author BiographyR. Barker Bausell, Ph.D., a professor at the University of Maryland Baltimore, was Research Director of a National Institutes of Health-funded Complementary and Alternative Medicine Specialized Research Center.
- Author(s)R. Barker Bausell
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication27/08/2009
- SubjectAlternative Therapies & Health
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2009
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Notetables and figures
- Weight411 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.