CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Children's Picture Books
Save on Children's Picture Books
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $12.87
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $9.91Trending at AU $13.64
- AU $9.75Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $8.73Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $25.00
- AU $9.29Trending at AU $11.26
About this product
- DescriptionA faithful little dog must survive on his own in the wild in this captivating tale of loss and reunion told by acclaimed poet Marilyn Nelson and the inimitable artist Timothy Basil Ering. Abba Jacob is a monk who lives on a faraway island with his loyal rat terrier, Sok. Every day, from the small hours of dawn till the sun sets over the sea, Sok keeps Abba Jacob company as he prays or works, tending the gardens or fixing the plumbing of the little hermitage he calls home. But when the two are separated by a ferocious storm, suddenly Sok must learn to fend for himself in the wild, all alone in a world of fierceness and wonder. Will he ever again hear the loving voice that he waits for? Simply and lyrically told by award-winning poet Marilyn Nelson and exquisitely illustrated by Timothy Basil Ering with wit, warmth and a clear affection for the natural world, this is a moving, evocative tale of friendship lost and re-found against all odds. This exceptionally beautiful long-form poem from multiple-prizewinner Marilyn Nelson tells the story of a dog who becomes separated on an island from his best friend, a monk. Timothy Basil Ering's love of the sea and all natural elements shines here with astonishing facility and beauty; this truly is the book he was born to paint. It is an utterly unique and unusual book that will become an instant classic with dog-and animal-lovers, absolutely wonderful for sharing aloud.
- Author BiographyMarilyn Nelson is the author of many award-winning books for young people and adults, including Carver: A Life in Poems and A Wreath for Emmett Till. She also translated The Ladder, a picture book by Halfdan Rasmussen. She lives in East Haddam, Connecticut. Timothy Basil Ering is the illustrator of, among other titles, the award-winning The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo and Finn Throws a Fit! by David Elliott. He lives in Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Marilyn Nelson
- PublisherWalker Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/01/2011
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWalker Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date23/10/2015
- Content Notechiefly col. Illustrations
- Width200 mm
- Height280 mm
- Illustrator(s)Timothy Basil Ering
- Interest Age7+
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.