All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVictor Isakov This volume contains various results on partial di?erential equations where Sobolev spaces are used. Their selection is motivated by the research int- ests of the editor and the geographicallinks to the places where S. L. Sobolev worked and lived: St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Novosibirsk. Most of the papers are written by leading experts in control theory and inverse pr- lems. Ather reason for the selection is a strong link to applied areas. In my opinion, control theory and inverse problems are main areas of di?er- tial equations of importance for some branches of contemporary science and engineering. S. L. Sobolev, as many great mathematicians, was very much motivated by applications. He did t distinguished between pure and - plied mathematics, but, in his own words, between good mathematics and bad mathematics. While he possessed a brilliant analytical technique, he most valued invative ideas, solutions of deep conceptual problems, and t mathematical decorations, perfecting exposition, and generalizations. S. L. Sobolev himself never published papers on inverse problems or c- trol theory, but he was very much aware of the state of art and he monitored research on inverse problems. In particular, in his lecture at a Conference on Di?erentialEquationsin1954(found inSobolev'sarchiveandmadeavailable to me by Alexander Bukhgeim), he outlined main inverse problems in g- physics:theinverseseismicproblem,theelectromagneticprospecting,andthe inverse problem of gravimetry.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication29/09/2008
- Series TitleInternational Mathematical Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 10
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1540 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byVictor Isakov
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.