All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial Change in Contemporary China offers a wide-ranging examination of Chinese institutional change in areas of education, religion, health care, ecomics, labor, family, and local communities in the post-Mao era. Based on the pioneering work of sociologist C. K. Yang (1911-1999) and his institutional diffusion theory, the essays analyze and develop the theory as it applies to both public and private institutions. The inter-relationship of these institutions composes what Yang termed the Chinese system and affects nearly every aspect of life. Yang examined the influence of external factors on each institution, such as the influence of Westernization and Communism on family and the impact of industrialization on rural markets. He also analyzed the impact of public opinion and past culture on institutions, therein revealing the circular nature of diffusion. Perhaps most significant are Yang's insights on the role of religion in Chinese society. Despite the common perception that China had religion, he uncovers the influence of classical Confucianism as the basis for many ethical value systems and follows its diffusion into state and kinship systems, as well as Taoism and Buddhism. Writing in the early years of Communism, Yang had little hard data with which to test his theories. The contributors to this volume expand upon Yang's groundbreaking approach and apply the model of diffusion to a rapidly evolving contemporary China, providing a window into an increasingly modern Chinese society and its institutions.
- Author BiographyWenfang Tang is associate professor of political science at the University of Pittsburgh. He is the author of Public Opinion and Political Change in China, and coauthor of Chinese Urban Life Under Market Reform. The Changing Social Contract. Burkart Holzner is professor of sociology and public and international affairs, and Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of International Studies at the University of Pittsburgh. He is the author of Reality Construction in Society, and coauthor of Transparency in Global Change: The Vanguard of the Open Society and Knowledge Application: The Knowledge System in Society.
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byBurkart Holzner,Wenfang Tang
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.