All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines the functioning of societies through a systematic study of conflicts. It reviews a wide range of perspectives on conflict, including the historical implications for India's social, cultural, political, and labour-related problems. Thematically organized, the readings are divided into five sections. The first discusses, among other issues, the partition of the household; and restitution of conjugal rights and marital adjustments. The second section focuses on caste conflicts and the state; communal riots; and ethnic violence and industrial unrest. The third section illustrates the interaction between local and regional politics; protest movements; rebellion; and party factions. Section four deals with tensions in the work place, and the last section explores the different modes of resolving conflicts taking into account both the panchayats and the modern court systems. This second edition contains a new Postscript which draws attention of the readers to the trends in the study of conflict since the publication of the first edition, and a new Preface. It will interest students and scholars of sociology, anthropology, politics, and history.
- Author BiographyN. Jayaram is Professor, Centre for Research Methodology, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. Late Satish Saberwal was Professor of Sociology at the Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication28/07/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleOxford in India Readings in Sociology & Social Anthropology
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight552 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byN. Jayaram,Satish Saberwal
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.