All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1978, the opening up and reform in China has brought tremendous ecomic and social changes. While China's ecomic progress has been commendable, the social problems that go with ecomic changes have raised serious concerns. Some of those concerns are related to gender, ethnic, labor, and environmental issues. This book is about what has happened in these arenas in China since the opening up and reform in 1978. The study of gender, ethnicity, labor, and environment touches on some of the fundamental problems of modernization, especially the development of individuals and groups. So even though gender, ethnicity, labor, and environment seem to be separate issues, they are in fact related in some fundamental ways. That's what this book will explore as well. To understand is one thing and to do is ather. This book also incorporates studies of NGO practices to see how NGOs have helped in transforming gender, ethnic, labor, and environment interplay. Our study of NGOs in helping improve such interplay sheds light on how specifically civil society can prod the state to transform social relations for the better. This book is an attempt to assess the changes, both positive and negative, in gender, ethnic, ethnic, and environmental relations in China especially in the past 30 years of opening up and reform, especially regarding national identity formation.
- Author BiographyZhadong Hao is professor in the Department of Sociology and academic manager of the Social Science Research Center on Contemporary China at the University of Macao. Sheying Chen is professor of social policy and associate provost for academic affairs at Pace University in New York. He is series co-editor, as well as co-editor of Springers series International Perspectives on Aging. He has also co-edited a special issue of Ageing International and recentlyjoined that journal as an associate editor.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication24/08/2013
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleInternational Perspectives on Social Policy, Administration, and Practice
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note7 colour illustrations, 28 colour tables
- Weight713 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited bySheying Chen,Zhidong Hao
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.