All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 21st-century political landscape has been defined by deep ideological polarization, and as a result scientific inquiry into the psychological mechanisms underlying this divide has taken on increased relevance. The topic is by means new to social psychology. Classic literature on intergroup conflict shows how pervasive and intractable these group conflicts can be, how readily they can emerge from even minimal group identities, and the hedonic rewards reaped from adopting an us vs. them perspective. Indeed, this literature paints a bleak picture for the efficacy of any interventions geared toward reducing intergroup discord. But advances in the psychology of moral judgments and behavior, in particular greater understanding of how moral concerns might inform the creation and stability of political identities, offer new ways forward in understanding partisan divides. This volume brings together leading researchers in moral and political psychology, offering new perspectives on the moral roots of political ideology, and exciting new opportunities for the development of more effective applied interventions.
- Author BiographyPiercarlo Valdesolo is Assistant Professor at Claremont McKenna College, California. Using methodology from social and cognitive psychology, his research focuses on how our emotional states -- such as compassion, awe, and gratitude -- affect our decisions and behaviors with regard to trust, cooperation, blame, and punishment. Jesse Graham is Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of Southern California Dornsife. His research is centered on morality and ethics, ideology, values, political psychology, implicit attitudes, religion, culture, and social justice.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/02/2016
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleClaremont Symposium on Applied Social Psychology Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 10 black & white halftones, 5 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJesse Graham,Piercarlo Valdesolo
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.