All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring much of the Cold War, escape from countries in the East Bloc was a near impossible act. There remained, however, possibilities for other socialist escapes, particularly time away from party ideology and the mundane routines of everyday life. The essays in this volume examine sites of socialist escapes, such as beaches, camp sites, nightclubs, concerts, castles, cars, and soccer matches. The chapters explore the effectiveness of state efforts to engineer society through leisure, entertainment, and related forms of cultural programming and consumption, as it was in leisure and tourism that the party's intentions encountered Eigensinn or doing things one's own way. This volume leads to a deeper understanding of state - society relations in the East Bloc, where the state did t simply dictate from above and inhabitants had some opportunities to shape solidarities, identities, and meaning.
- Author BiographyCathleen M. Giustino is Associate Professor of History at Auburn University, where she teaches courses on modern Central and Eastern European history. She is author of Tearing Down Prague's Jewish Town: Ghetto Clearance and the Legacy of Middle-Class Ethnic Politics around 1900 (2003). Catherine J. Plum is Assistant Professor of History at Western New England College, where she teaches courses on modern European and German history. Her monograph, Antifascism & the Historical Identity of East German Youth, 1961-1989, is forthcoming. Alexander Vari is Assistant Professor of Modern European History at Marywood University. He is currently working on a comparative history of city marketing, nationalism, and urban-tourism promotion in Budapest and Bucharest.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note12 figs
- Weight562 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAlexander Vari,Catherine J. Plum,Cathleen M. Giustino
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.