All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring much of the Cold War, physical escape from countries in the East Bloc was a near impossible act. There remained, however, possibilities for other socialist escapes, particularly time away from party ideology and the mundane routines of everyday life. The essays in this volume examine sites of socialist escapes, such as beaches, camp sites, nightclubs, concerts, castles, cars, and soccer matches. The chapters explore the effectiveness of state efforts to engineer society through leisure, entertainment, and related forms of cultural programming and consumption, as it was in leisure and tourism that the party's intentions encountered Eigen-Sinn, the pursuit of individual interests. This volume leads to a deeper understanding of state - society relations in the East Bloc, where the state did t simply dictate from above and inhabitants had some opportunities to shape solidarities, identities, and meaning.
- Author BiographyCathleen M. Giustino is Professor of History at Auburn University where she teaches courses on modern Central and Eastern European history. Catherine J. Plum is Associate Professor of History at Western New England University where she teaches courses on modern European and German history. Alexander Vari is Associate Professor of Modern European History at Marywood University.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note12 figures
- Weight399 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byAlexander Vari,Catherine J. Plum,Cathleen M. Giustino
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.