Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $9.88Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis Very Short Introduction deals with the social life of language: language in its sociocultural context. The field ranges from micro-analyses to broadly-based policy and planning undertakings. As such, this book draws from sociolinguistics, the sociology of language, and psycholinguistics. The relationship between language and identity - whether of an individual or a group - is a strong thread linking all the topics covered in the book. The ordinary, instrumental, communicative aspects of language cant be adequately understood without paying attention to the symbolic features that powerfully underpin feelings and attributions of groupness and belonging. The book therefore focuses more on macro sociological areas than to fine-grained analyses of variation in linguistic features (though the latter are t igred). Edwards explains the differential social evaluations of languages and dialects, how names (and naming) are much more than simple designations, why some languages come to dominate others, as well as questions about the relationship between language and gender, sexist language, the language of poverty, the intertwining of language and religion, and politically driven language planning and policy. These matters have always been timely and of great social interest. The book demonstrates the connections and continuities that exist within the language arena in which we all participate, and about which all of us have opinions, preferences and prejudices. This is the first short treatment that acquaints the educated n-specialist with the social life of language. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyJohn Edwards is professor of psychology at St. Francis Xavier University. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and editor of the Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development.
- Author(s)John Edwards
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication25/07/2013
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note10 b/w halftones
- Weight120 g
- Width121 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.