All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis best-selling text will help you learn sociology and how it applies to a socially and globally changing world. Chapters open with a Sociology and Everyday Life box that highlights such relevant topics as bullying and social media abuse, digital-age methods to increase school attendance, food trucks and the spread of culture, modern slavery, and weight bias. These opening vignettes mirror the richness and complexity of society and establish themes that are carried throughout chapters to provide you with a framework for learning the material. The author's vivid, inviting writing style; eye for compelling current examples; thorough presentation of sociological theory and contemporary perspectives such as feminism and postmodernism; and emphasis on trying out what you're learning will engage you and show you sociology's relevance to your life.
- Author BiographyDiana Kendall is Professor of Sociology at Baylor University, where she has been recognized as an Outstanding Professor. She has taught a variety of courses, including Introduction to Sociology, Sociological Theory (undergraduate and graduate), Sociology of Medicine, Sociology of Law, and Race, Class, and Gender. Previously, she enjoyed many years of teaching sociology and serving as chair of the Social and Behavioral Science Division at Austin Community College. Dr. Kendall's areas of specialization and primary research interests are sociological theory and the sociology of medicine. Her books include SOCIOLOGY IN OUR TIMES: THE ESSENTIALS (Cengage Learning, 2016), THE POWER OF GOOD DEEDS: PRIVILEGED WOMEN AND THE SOCIAL REPRODUCTION OF THE UPPER CLASS (Rowman & Littlefield, 2002), MEMBERS ONLY: ELITE CLUBS AND THE PROCESS OF EXCLUSION (Rowman & Littlefield, 2008), and FRAMING CLASS: MEDIA REPRESENTATIONS OF WEALTH AND POVERTY IN AMERICA, 2nd Edition (Rowman & Littlefield, 2012). Her most recent scholarly publication is Class: Still Alive and Reproducing in the United States, a book chapter in PRIVILEGE: A READER, 4th Edition (2016, Westview Press). Dr. Kendall is actively involved in national and regional sociological associations, including the American Sociological Association, the Society for the Study of Social Problems, and the Southwestern Sociological Association. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin, where she was invited to membership in Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- Author(s)Diana Kendall
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication31/01/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationMason, OH
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCENGAGE Learning Custom Publishing
- Weight1497 g
- Width223 mm
- Height284 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edition Statement11th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.