All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers an introduction to Socrates, ideal for undergraduate students taking courses in Ancient and Greek Philosophy. Socrates is regarded as the founder of Western philosophical inquiry. Yet he left writings and claimed to kw 'thing fine or worthy'. He spent his life perplexing those who encountered him and is as important and perplexing w as he was 2500 years ago. Drawing on the various competing sources for Socrates that are available to us, Socrates: A Guide for the Perplexed guides the reader through the main themes and ideas of Socrates' thought. Taking into account the puzzles surrounding his trial and death, the philosophical methods and ethical positions associated with Socrates, and his lasting influence, Sara Ahbel-Rappe presents a concise and accessible introduction to this most influential and important of philosophers. She concludes by suggesting that it is in fact the Socratic insistence on self-kwledge that makes Socrates at once so pivotal and so elusive for the student of philosophy. This book is the ideal companion to the study of key thinker in the history of philosophy. Continuum's Guides for the Perplexed are clear, concise and accessible introductions to thinkers, writers and subjects that students and readers can find especially challenging - or indeed downright bewildering. Concentrating specifically on what it is that makes the subject difficult to grasp, these books explain and explore key themes and ideas, guiding the reader towards a thorough understanding of demanding material.
- Author BiographySara Ahbel-Rappe is Associate Professor of Greek and Latin at the University of Michigan, USA. She is the author of Reading Neoplatonism (CUP, 2000) and co-editor, with Rachana Kamtekar, of A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell, 2006).
- Author(s)Sara Ahbel-Rappe
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/06/2009
- Series TitleGuides for the Perplexed
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight358 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.