All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJoe Wilder set the table. His struggles made it easier for me and many others. --From the Foreword by Wynton Marsalis Trumpeter Joe Wilder is distinguished for his achievements in both the jazz and classical worlds. He was a founding member of the Symphony of the New World, where he played first trumpet, and he performed as lead trumpet and soloist with Lionel Hampton, Jimmy Lunceford, Dizzy Gillespie, and Count Basie. Yet Wilder is also kwn as a pioneer who broke down racial barriers, the first African American to hold a principal chair in a Broadway show orchestra, and one of the first African Americans to join a network studio orchestra. In Softly, with Feeling, Edward Berger tells Wilder's remarkable story-from his growing up in working-class Philadelphia to becoming one of the first 1,000 black Marines during World War II-with tremendous feeling and extensive reminiscences by Wilder and his colleagues, including rewned Philadelphia-area musicians Jimmy Heath and Buddy DeFranco. Berger also places Wilder's experiences within a broader context of American musical and social history. Wilder's modesty and ability to perform in many musical genres may have prevented him from achieving popular recognition, but in Softly, with Feeling, his legacy and contributions to music and culture are assured.
- Author BiographyEdward Berger is a writer/photographer, whose other books include Benny Carter: A Life in American Music (with Morroe Berger and James Patrick) and Bassically Speaking: An Oral History of George Duvivier. He produced two Grammy-winning albums for jazz great Benny Carter, and has been a long-time co-host of Jazz from the Archives on WBGO-FM, Newark. He retired as Associate Director of the Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies in 2011, but continues to serve IJS as a consultant.
- Author(s)Edward Berger
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication25/04/2014
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight694 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine865 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.