All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe second edition of Solar System Astrophysics: Background Science and the Inner Solar System provides new insights into the burgeoning field of planetary astromy. As in the first edition, this volume begins with a rigorous treatment of coordinate frames, basic positional astromy, and the celestial mechanics of two and restricted three body system problems. Perturbations are treated in the same way, with clear step-by-step derivations. Then the Earth's gravitational potential field and the Earth-Moon system are discussed, and the exposition turns to radiation properties with a chapter on the Sun. The exposition of the physical properties of the Moon and the terrestrial planets are greatly expanded, with much new information highlighted on the Moon, Mercury, Venus, and Mars. All of the material is presented within a framework of historical importance. This book and its sister volume, Solar System Astrophysics: Background Science and the Inner Solar system, are pedagogically well written, providing clearly illustrated explanations, for example, of such topics as the numerical integration of the Adams-Williamson equation, the equations of state in planetary interiors and atmospheres, Maxwell's equations as applied to planetary iospheres and magnetospheres, and the physics and chemistry of the Habitable Zone in planetary systems. Together, the volumes form a comprehensive text for any university course that aims to deal with all aspects of solar and extra-solar planetary systems. They will appeal separately to the intellectually curious who would like to kw how just how far our kwledge of the solar system has progressed in recent years.
- Author BiographyEugene Milone has been Professor of Physics, Astronomy, and Astrophysics for 35 years, and has taught at the University of Calgary, San Diego State University, and Ruhr-Universitat Bochum. He is a member of the International Astronomical Union, American Astronomical Society, Canadian Astronomical Society, Astronomical Society of the Pacific, New York Academy of Science, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, International Dark Sky Society, and the International Symposia. William Wilson has been Professor of Physics, Astronomy, and Astrophysics at the University of Calgary for 30 years. He has spent 15 years teaching courses in Solar System Astrophysics and Stellar Structure and Evolution. His research areas are stellar evolution and stellar properties.
- Author(s)Eugene F. Milone,William J. F. Wilson
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/01/2014
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleAstronomy and Astrophysics Library
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note159 black & white illustrations, 21 colour illustrations, 16 black & white tables, biography
- Weight695 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.